VPA MUSIC AUDITION REQUIREMENTS
* VPA Music candidates are expected to dress formally. Parents are not permitted to sit in the audition.
1. A piece that is at least two minutes and no longer than five. This piece must be in the style of classical, musical theatre, or jazz. Please try to choose something that demonstrates vocal technique and range.
2. A range check and pitch matching exercise that will be conducted by the instructor.
1. A short excerpt (at least 32 measures) of a piece of your own choosing. This piece should preferably be from the FBA Solo and Ensemble List. Excerpts from band class literature are NOT accepted; only solo repertoire is acceptable.
2. A short sight reading etude.
3. The following scales: F, Bb, Eb, Ab, C, and a Chromatic Scale (You can start on a note of your own choosing). Percussionists will play their scales on the xylophone.
1. Play an accelerated and decelerated double stroke roll on the snare drum.
2. Sight read an excerpt on both the snare drum and xylophone
1. Scales – Three major scales of the player's choice. Violins and Violas - two octaves, three if possible. Celli and Bass - two octaves.
2. Prepared piece – Choose one Etude from any of the standard Etude books (such as Kreutzer, Mazas, Wohlfahrt, Campagnoli, Gavinies, etc.) or a solo piece of your choosing. This piece should adequately demonstrate proficiency on the instrument.
3. Sight Reading - The student will be asked to sight read a short excerpt written for their respective instrument.
1. One set of Scales and/or arpeggios of the following three sets: 1) E major/c# minor; 2) B Major /g# minor; 3) Eb Major/c minor. Students may play hands separately or hands together for one octave or more both ascending and descending.
2. Sight Reading: Play a short excerpt of a piece in an appropriate level chosen by the instructor.
3. Repertoire: Perform one or two piece(s) of the candidate's choosing. This piece must be in classical style which exhibits student's abilities and strengths.
For more information, contact Rebecca Abrahamson, VPA Coordinator, at email@example.com, or Judy Piercy, VPA Administrative Assistant, at (941) 927-9000, ext. 65215.
*** In addition to the audition, ALL VPA Music students must successfully submit:
- A short and basic music theory test (5 minute time limit) – for placement
- 2 letters of recommendation (preferably one from a music teacher, one from an academic teacher)
- A report card or transcript demonstrating academic competency
- All materials can be submitted to firstname.lastname@example.org